Thursday, September 6, 2007

WINGS....

There was a time...many a thousand light years ago, there was a time when i used to have wings...brick-red wings of recycled newspaper that my Maker had put together with tedious concentration and unflinching dedication....by the time this Herculean task had been completed, Heaven reeked repulsively of Dendrite, wet paper and divine sweat...but nonetheless, there stood my wings...brick-red wings of recycled paper...!...Thus, off i flew into the night air....dodging the ash-coloured bales of cotton suspended in the limitless sky, i flew on...and on..and on...The wind whistled softly, flirtatiously in my ear...i blushed a little...and then sailed on...and on..and on..and on....
Suddenly, a papery hand ticked the nape of my neck...my head turned impulsively...a flash of brick-red caught my eye...my Maker had been careless afterall...i clicked my tongue in disapproval..and yet my eyes refused to budge from the loose strip of coloured newspaper that held on tenaciously to dear life...my eyes refused to budge, attracted all of a sudden to the curious scribblings on the surface of the paper...a hand reached out and tore the strip from its root....the eyes travelled over the printed word...a light-bulb lighted up somewhere deep in the crevices of my being...i smiled a knowing smile...shook my head in witty contemplation and thus,let go of my papery appendages....the wings were of no use to me anymore...the airy sea had been conquered..there it lay tamed and purring contentedly in the palm of my hand, captured in bold black letterings...the wings were of no use to me anymore....
Or so i thought, as i shut and bolted my doors and windows, complacently ignoring my Maker's defeated sigh from above.....

No comments: