Sunday, August 12, 2007

ROSE BUDS....

He was there all the while...like the inconsequential lone light-bulb, ungraciously gracing the white-washed wall in every single scene of the sixty minutes motion picture...he was there all the while....but my eyes saw him not.They were too busy satiating their visual hunger for greater things..things that shone and sparkled in the sun..things that left one shocked,stupified,stupended..things that danced cunningly before my vulnerable eyes like alluring little fireflies...and then,as i reached out my hand,off they flew into oblivion leaving behind an erotic trail of chuckles and smirks.
He left behind a shy little rose bud in my lizard-infested letter-box everyday...a rose-bud for me...like pursed lips they sat silent in my flower-vase only incurring my irritation at their passivity....by and by,they all met the same dishonourable fate...rubbing delicate shoulders with eggshells, rotten tomatoes and intricate fish-bones, they slowly lapsed into non-exsistence...Thus, without realisation, i kept plundering his heart...almost a sadist,i derived joy in making him cry...and yet,the silent lovers kept appearing in my lizard-infested letter-box.
He tried erecting the strongest of earthly walls around me to keep me protected...standing senitel at the great iron doors,he spent infinite sleepless nights.Armed with a menacing sword, he paraded the grounds, ready to cut, slash and burn...singular beads of sweat united in a deluge of perspiration and drenched his being, ugly black rings circled his deep-river eyes...and yet he stood his ground.I saw it all from my window above...silently cursing him all the while.
His laments tore through the night air making hyneas recoil in fear...the cries of anguish...of loss, shattered window-panes,snuffed out glowing candles,made scavenging rodents scurry back to their burrows,aghast....I had cheated him...broke through his protective bars and escaped into the seemingly free world...my mendacity shocked him..but as the tears slithered down his grimy face,i hooted and jeered..oh! how i despised his mawkish nature!....and thus i left him...a defeated man....
It had been three days..just three days in the free world...and i had been sucked of all life...there i lay in the dust,crushed, beaten...choked and throttled...all that my eyes encountered were brisk footfalls and all that my ears heard were nasty catcalls...the heavens rained no mercy on me...the earth remained parched....shockingly dry.
It was then that my pregnant lizard-infested letter-box burst open with a mighty crack!..and out spilled blood-red roses..pouting and bright...the lips had finally opened,they were pursed no more.....and as i took them up in my writhered arms,they seemed to snuggle closer...warmth spread through my cold shuddering frame,shot through my heart and spilled out in silent retribution through the corner of my eyes...i realised,i was finally alive again.....
'I love you' was easy to utter...shamelessly,remorselessly i let the words spring forth from my mouth...But he shook his head and said.'let it stay the way it was before...'
Thus,he continues to be there...the lone insipid little light-bulb ungraciously gracing the white-washed wall in every scene of the sixty minutes motion picture.....and the silent rose-buds keep arriving in my newly erected lizard-free letter-box..but the only inconsequential abberation here is that...now,i wait for hours on end to hear the rose-buds speak...speak those very words that earlier i had not the ear to hear....

No comments: