Thursday, April 17, 2008

THE SEA?

Life marches on...I drag along.
"Lift your feet and walk!"- Life commands.
The logo on my coconut-oil bottle promises a wristful of sand...
I long for the sea...for the insolent pinpricks of salt in my eyes...
Crows I wish to seize by the throat and dip in pools of white...
Look! Look! Seagulls in disguise!

The man who translates life for me...is dead.
Now, I sit on my haunches, chewing on my nails, biting my lips...tasting salt...salt? ah! the sea?
The Sea! The Sea!
I run wildly down the streets, slipping on my slippers, bumping, shoving, kicking gaping coconut shells out of my way...Coconut Shells!... ah! the sea? again!
The Sea! The Sea!
Thoughts challenge my feet...they run...neck-to-neck, eyes set resolutely on the finish-line...
Tiny drops of sweat join forces at my forehead...a murky threadbare curtain falls over my eyes, blurrs my sight...i tear it away, with all my might.
The Sea! The Sea!
'I can read life!'....Relief runs a omforting hand over my head....
I run on....
I run towards Life...
But Life...
Life scowls down at me...I, the defiant foreigner, finally brought to my knees...made to pay for scoofing at the Language of Life.
"The Sea it is not"...Life smirks this time..."The One is Blood...the other,a rotting Coconut-Shell...The Sea it is not!"
I walk back in the dark.
In an incomprehensible world, the barring cannines of the garbage-bins seem to bark at me- "It's all Greek and Hebrew to you...is it not?!" and the streetlamps blink in appreciation of the joke..."Cheers!", shout the signposts....All great scholars of a wise old world.
The tears...they came, as they had to come....
But wait...the tears...the salt! salt?...
The Sea? Yes,the Sea!
The Sea! Here I come!

4 comments:

Fox in the Attic said...

shayeari. you have no right to keep on writing so well. i hereby declare you unfit for human companionship. you shall ne formally boycotted from now onwards. your reprieve shall come only if you apologize to your near and dear ones for not writing madiocre enuf to match up with their standards and yu shall also have to forfeit your pen, your brain and your literary skills.

....is adjourned

Pongy Papaya said...

i love
how every time
you do justice to
out of the wotld expressions
some try to adapt abstraction,sublime expressions but all
of that comes so naturally to you
and your metaphors are just too good,applies in general to all your posts.
*muah*

Shayeari said...

poor Me!!!

Shayeari said...

@pongy papaya....thank you!!!